A common concern of car owners is centered on car servicing. What should one do for maintenance, how and when should a car be serviced? Below are a few tips put together by various experts in the car servicing industry.
First, let us look at the benefits of regular car servicing.
- To spend money on maintenance when your car seems to be working fine or when it is new may seem unnecessary, but well-planned servicing can lengthen the life of your car.
- Regular repair and replacement of damaged parts can help you avoid more expensive replacements in the long run.
- Above all, a well-maintained car will make driving safe for you and your family.
- Last but not the least, if you for some reason decide to sell your car, a car with an organized car servicing schedule will find more buyers and you will get a good price for your automotive
Plan Car Servicing:
- First, read the manual that comes with your car. It will usually list your car’s manufacturer’s recommendations and schedule for maintenance depending on your use.
- Second, find a good car service center. If you are buying a new car, then you will be connected to a chain of car service stations.
- Whether you are purchasing a new car or a used one, make sure that the service center you choose has technicians certified by the car servicing industry.
- Most importantly, have a clear discussion with your service technician so that there is no misunderstanding between what you expect and what he does so that you get the best service possible.
Tips on What is Involved in Car Servicing:
- Check and change engine oil and oil filter. This has to be done when you are close to every 5000 km mark.
- Check and replenish all the fluids including power steering, transmission, brake, coolant etc. This should be ideally done monthly.
- Check and clean the air filter. This is best done at every 7500 km mark.
- Check and refill air pressure in your tires at least once every month.
- Check wheel balancing and alignment and do the needful as and when needed. Also, check the condition of the spare tire regularly.
- Check your headlights, taillights, brake light, turn light every month and replace them immediately if not functional.
- Check your seat belts monthly and replace them if cracked or torn.
- Check windshield wipers and repair or replace them if they are broken or leave a scratch mark on your glass.
- Check and replenish or replace the battery if needed.
- Clean and wax your car regularly.
The above mentioned are some basic checks and replacements to be done regularly. Other than the above, there are more detailed servicing that need to be done at every 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, or 60,000 marks. This varies depending on your car make and service provider. Please check your owner’s manual to plan this aspect of your car servicing.
Even if you have maintained a proper schedule for your european car servicing, emergency car repairs pop up for every car owner. Here are some tips to battle emergency situations:
- Maintain a checklist to track repairs.
- Find a dependable and efficient automotive mechanic who can help you with emergency repairs.
- Check if your car insurance covers emergency roadside assistance and signup with an appropriate one.
- Put together a car emergency kit. If you do not know what goes it, you can check online for tips.
- Learn the basics of fixing a car, like changing flat tires, battery, etc.
- Most importantly, set aside money for emergency car repairs.